New Road School of Somerset is structured as a Micro-community, a miniature town complete with its own town center.
Our students pass everyday down hallways that use street names, through the Downtown and Uptown areas, along Lincoln Ave. and through Administrative Circle. The idea is not limited to our physical facility. The Student Council’s president is elected the Town Council’s Mayor. The concept is integral to our strategy of providing interactive, hands-on opportunities for learning.
Main Street is lined with small shops and businesses with inviting storefronts, each providing specific learning and training opportunities in areas that may be of interest to our students. Examples include:
- Florist – Horticultural purchasing and flower arrangement.
- Apple Tree Day Care – a fully functional day care facility, operated in partnership with the Arc of Somerset.
- Main Street TV Studio – A fully functional digital video production studio with post production and editing.
- Copy Cats – Copy production and printing including digital document development and silk screen manufacturing.
- Loading Dock – A real working loading doc for receiving and sending material used in Main Street stores and the School.
- Opthalmology Lab – a working opthalmology lab (supervised by a licensed optician) with diagnostic and lens production and glasses assembly.
- Commercial Kitchen & Bistro Cafe – serving the entire New Road School Somerset community and teaching every aspect of commercial culinary arts and restaurant management.
- Pharmacy – a working pharmacy suite for practice of pharmaceutical assistant skills.
- Dentist – a working dental suite for practice in dental hygienics.
- ShopRite Supermarket – an actual ShopRite mini-store on campus for practice of inventory management, purchasing, customer service and sales.
- Horticulture – working greenhouse and outdoor grounds keeping service.
Some students working in these areas are participants in New Road’s Professional Academy of Careers and Technology (PACT) program, a two-year program available to students who have completed their high school curriculum. Students who have completed the PACT curriculum have the opportunity to take an exam to receive a nationally-recognized certificate or a certificate of completion. Learn more about The PACT Program at New Road School of Somerset.
Our school community mimics nearly every aspect of traditional community living, and is a dynamic and welcoming setting in which to learn about real life in real, practical ways.